Looe Local Organisations
Located adjacent to East Looe beach and the Looe River, the new boathouse for Looe lifeboats completed in 2003 is a state of the art building and a far cry from the first recorded shout in 1938 before a boathouse had been established.
Looe Voluntary Marine Conservation Volunteers
Looe Marine Conservation Group looemarineconservation.org
We want you to discover, explore and learn more about Looe’s amazing marine life and habitats, so make us one of your favourites! You can keep an eye on our calendar of events, dip into our photo galleries on cold winter nights and start planning your voyage of discovery on Looe’s seashore. All our project events will be free and open to everyone.
Looe Town Council
The Guildhall Fore Street, East Looe, Cornwall. PL13 1AA Tel: 01503 262255
The Looe Community School
Looe Sailing Club
Looe Rowing Club/ Gig Club
Looe Rowing Club (Incorporates Looe Rowing Club and Looe Pilot Gig Club)
website: www.looerowingclub.co.uk or contact Mike White on 07800 812062
Looe Boat Owners' Association
Open to all with an interest in pleasure boating around Looe
Official website: www.lboa.co.uk
The Friends of Kilminorth Woods is a community based wildlife and conservation group that runs events throughout the year. Our group has a growing membership and a family feel. We endeavour to cater for all age groups and abilities.
the Looe Valley Singers
St. Martins Parish Church
ST MARTIN'S PARISH CHURCH , St. Martin's Road, East Looe . Under the brow of the hill sheltered from the wind off the sea, stands St. Martin 's Church, cruciform in shape, built of local stone and roofed with slate. The Church has a fine tower with a peal of six bells. The well proportioned Norman doorway with its deep mouldings probably dates from about 1140. The interior of the Church is of a typically 15 th century appearance
with chancel, nave, south aisle and two transepts, but parts of the building are much older. Holy Communion services and a monthly Family Praise Service are held at the Church on Sundays.
A Sunday School is held to coincide with Holy Communion. The adjacent Church Hall is home to the exuberant Sunday Alive! services which are held at 10 am every Sunday.
The Church Hall is available to hire for functions and benefits from ample parking.
To discuss baptisms, weddings and funeral services, please contact the Rev Brian McQuillen, at The Rectory on 01503 263070. For general information about the Church and its work in the community, please contact The Parish Office on 265460.
ST NICHOLAS CHURCH
The Quayside, West Looe. Originally the Chapel of St. Nicholas belonged to the Church of Talland , as also did the village of West Looe . Later it came under the authority of St. Martins by Looe and was looked after by the Rector of this Church. In 1845, however, by an Order of Council, the parish of ‘East and West Looe ' was established. But it was not until 1852 that the Church of St. Nicholas was taken back into the care of the Church commissioners. In its history, the Church has served many purposes in the Looe community; from the mid-16 th century serving both as a Town Hall for the ‘West Looe Corporation' and as a Church whenever Civic business was not being undertaken. Later it was used as a free mathematical school and in the 19 th century for the use of ‘strolling players'. In 1547 it was decided to build a prison (‘the Dark Hole') occupying about half the length of the North wall with an outside entrance. The blocked entrance is still visible on the ‘new' North wall which was originally the windowless outside wall of the prison. The East end of the Church was used as a court until about 1839. The exact date as to when the Church was built is not known, but it was certainly before 1336 when Sir John Dawnay and members of the Parish of Talland endowed the Church. Surviving the Chantry Acts of 1547 and 1548, which the nearby Chapel of Lamana and Chapel of St George on Looe Island did not, it is recorded that in 1549 Commissioners noted that St Nicholas possessed a partially gilt Chalice weighing 8 oz and also ‘two bells hanging in the tower'. The present bell was cast in 1730 and in 1835 an Italianate wooden cupola was added to the tower. The Millennium was marked by placing a new clock on the tower, which was dedicated in December 2000. Major restoration work has recently been completed, including repairs to the “fisherman's” Church roof and the vestry has been repaired and improved. Earlier work on the inside of the tower and remedial drainage on the Hannafore Road mean that the long running damp problem should be solved. Traditional services are held every Sunday morning and also during the week.
St Martins and St. Nicholas Churches, Looe. Past and future events and other church services St Martins and St. Nicholas Churches visit the website. anglicanchurcheslooe.weebly.com